I’ve never really considered myself a runner. Athlete, sure. But runner? Not really.
It was 3 years ago that my husband challenged me to a bucket list item that he had which was to run a half marathon. A few glasses of wine later and a little thinking, I accepted...and quickly regretted it as all 13.1 miles slowly sank it. It’s easy for me to say that now - with several runDisney races under my belt and knowing that with the proper training, the 13.1 miles were not only doable for a novice runner, but it was actually, dare I say it, FUN! And I mean it, from looking around and seeing where you are running, to just feeling that extra pixie dust. It’s also magical! 🙂
So, why runDisney? I write this for novice runners but also for experienced runners because the races are truly for everyone.
- I just finished the Princess Half Marathon in February and the announcer said it best, “most are here to complete, not to compete.” That’s why I do runDisney races. I’m not going to win the race, I’m not even going to come close, but I’m there to meet a goal and to feel accomplished with little pressure otherwise.
- The camaraderie. Whether you’re waiting in the corral, running the race, or walking the parks after with your shirt and/or medal(s) - there are other runners and non-runners wishing you well or wishing you congratulations. You look around and see people everywhere that are accomplishing similar (or very different) goals. I love to hear all the stories that are inevitably shared. Better yet, I love crossing the finish line with others that are just as emotional as I can be.
- Built-in breaks! There will be characters all along the parade routes (and man will there be lines for them!!), it’s the perfect time to see some rare characters and take a break if you need it.
- Choose your distance - they have them all! 5k, 10k, half marathon, and marathon. You can also get crazy and do the challenges, whatever works for you! I promise you will cross the finish line and be celebrated the same way no matter which race you run.
- The magic! It’s Disney, everything has magic in it. The races are no exception. You look around and see grown men and women dressed in costumes, moving and standing in throngs of people so they can run through the Disney Parks. Right when you think you might not be able to take another step, there will be the Disney inspiration that you love so much and will carry you through.
So there you have it! If you’re a Disney Parks fan, the races will not disappoint. Don’t be scared to give them a try. Complete, not compete. That sums it up!