23 Aug Out With The Old…At Epcot!
Epcot is full of nostalgia from the moment you walk in. So many things remind me of my early visits in the 80s…from jumping fountains, to the memorable design of The Land, to the iconic Figment, structures, and soundtracks…all are still reminiscent of when it first opened in 1982.
Throughout the years, we’ve seen updates, closures, and reimagination. But after 35+ years, Epcot is finally getting a major face lift! So, if you don’t like change, hold on to your black Debbie Gibson hat because there’s a lot coming down the pike.
Although some updates have begun, the major renovation that’ll bring us into the land of construction walls is set to begin early September with additional changes later in the year. No one likes construction walls on vacation, however, knowing it’s for the progression of the park keeps us excited for what’s on the horizon(s).
Permanently closing on September 8th:
- Club Cool: Say farewell to this central location offering Coke flavors from around the world – including the infamous Beverly!
- Epcot Character Spot: The meet and greets may move to other areas. No official word has been released.
- Innoventions East: This building and its exhibits, are set to close (Nanooze Break and Colortopia). The building will be removed as part of the larger remodel.
- Fountain of Nations: This beautiful structure is set to close and be removed. It’ll eventually be replaced with a reimagined fountain.
- Camera Center: This is set to close and become the new home of Pin Central.
Other closures/updates coming this fall:
- IllumiNations: Final show on September 30th. A new temporary show debuts October 1st.
- Fountain View / Starbucks: While closing, Starbucks is set to move to a new temporary location (no information on this yet).
- Electric Umbrella: This quick service location is closing this fall.
- Mouse Gear: This popular shopping location is closing temporarily this fall and moving to a location this winter while the current location is reimagined.
- Art of Disney: Moving to Heritage Manor in The American Adventure this fall.
- Pin Central: Eventually moving under Spaceship Earth. No relocation date is set.
Changes currently underway:
- Leave A Legacy: The front entrance of the park is going through a major overhaul and with that, the Leave A Legacy monoliths being removed. The right side has been completely cleared and (at the time of this blog), the left side is behind construction walls. Leave A Legacy is moving to a setting outside the park’s gateway. Details are set to be announced later.
- Liberty Inn: Closed in July. The Regal Eagle Smokehouse will reopen in its place later this year.
- New Restaurant: A new space themed restaurant is coming to a location next to Mission: SPACE in late 2019.
- Former Wonders of Life Pavilion: An all new play pavilion is being imagined here! It will open in time for the 50th anniversary of WDW!
- New Ride: Opening in the spring of 2020, a new Ratatouille ride is set to open in France.
The D23 expo is set for August 23 – 25. There will be additional dates, details, and transformation plans shared during the event on the upcoming changes coming to Epcot.
Ask your Me and The Mouse Travel Specialist for additional details as they are released.