Ever wonder if you’ll miss out on riding an attraction at Disney World because you’re traveling with someone either not tall enough or who does not want to ride?
No worries! Disney offers a Rider Switch pass for guests in this situation.
What is Rider Switch?
Rider Switch (aka child swap/rider swap) allows an adult who has waited off the attraction with a child or guest unable to ride, the ability to enjoy the ride after the remainder of his/her party returns from the line.
Reasons for not riding
How does it work?
- The entire party goes to the front of the line of the attraction they wish to ride (either the stand-by line or FastPass line, if they have one).
- Let the Cast Member at the front of the line know you need a Rider Switch for the adult waiting with the non-rider(s).
- Depending on the ride, the process for obtaining the Rider Switch pass may vary. At some attractions, the pass may be given to the group waiting off the attraction immediately OR the riders may be given a green lanyard to carry as they enter the line.
- The non-riders find a place to rest outside the attraction, enjoy other areas of the park, shop, or enjoy another attraction as they wait.
- If given a lanyard, the riders will exchange it with the next cast member in line. That cast member will provide them with a paper pass for the other adult to use later.
- Once the riders meet back with the non-riders, the waiting adult can now go to the attraction’s FastPass line with the Rider Swap ticket. They can take up to 3 guests with them.
Rider Switch expiration
There is generally an expiration date on Rider Switch passes. Some are SAME DAY passes (must be used by the close of the park that day) and some may be good for a few days/weeks (due to expiring at the end of the month).
This means non-riders do NOT need to use the pass immediately after the initial riders have ridden. They can return before the expiration date to ride.
**If you choose to use the pass on a different day, park admission is required.
Rides offering Rider Switch
- Magic Kingdom
- The Barnstormer (35in)
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (40in)
- Space Mountain (44in)
- Splash Mountain (40in)
- Stitch’s Great Escape (40in)
- Tomorrowland Indy Speedway (32in)
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (38in)
- Frozen Ever After (no height restriction)
- Mission: SPACE (44in)
- Soarin’ (40in)
- Test Track (40in)
- Hollywood Studios
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster (48in)
- Star Tours (40in)
- Tower of Terror (40in)
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park
- DINOSAUR (40in)
- Expedition Everest (44in)
- Kali River Rapids (38in)
- Primeval Whirl (48in)
**If you want to know if a Rider Switch is an option on a ride, please ask a cast member.