At Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure in Orlando, most major attractions have a strict ‘no loose items’ policy - and that encompasses change, wallets, purses of any kind, backpacks, sunglasses, hats, etc. There are a few solutions to this: asking a party member to hold everything while you enjoy the attraction is one solution, but a better one is to utilize Short-Term Lockers.
Various locations throughout the theme parks, strategically located close to attractions with these requirements, will house banks of lockers with a digital kiosk. Using the kiosk allows you to ‘rent’ a short-term locker by either using a fingerprint and code, or your theme park admission ticket. You will then be assigned a locker for your belongings, which are roughly big enough for a standard sized backpack.
What’s great about these lockers? They are FREE for the first hour, typically. The FREE use of the locker is based off of the current attraction wait time, the time it takes the ride to operate, with a cushion for you to get off the attraction, shop the gift shop, maybe find a restroom - regardless of your plan, there is a good window of time to utilize this FREE service.
- Want to use it longer? No worries! If you exceed that free time, lockers cost $3 per half hour, up to $20 max per day.
- Just missed your window by a few minutes and won’t need your locker any longer? Contact the nearest Universal Team Member for assistance.
- Utilize a lanyard to keep your theme park ticket on your person at all times. It can easily be tucked in your shirt.
- Lockers near Harry Potter attractions are not quite large enough for wand boxes - some larger lockers are available, but are in short supply.
- HP Forbidden Journey - you will pass through metal detectors, so be sure everything is off your person!
- Most attractions will allow you to keep a rain poncho on, since it is worn like clothing
- Lockers are available at Thrill Rides. Other attractions do not require them!
So where exactly can you find these lockers?
Universal Studios Florida Free Short-Term Lockers
- Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit
- Revenge of the Mummy
- MEN IN BLACK Alien Attack
- Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts
Islands of Adventure Free Short-Term Lockers
- The Incredible Hulk Coaster
- Dragon Challenge
- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
Using the lockers has always made my visits to Universal so much easier. Free to a minimal fee to ride a few attractions without worrying about my ‘stuff’ is a very positive thing!
If you would like to add a Universal Day to your Disney World trip, contact your agent today!