My family recently enjoyed a family reunion onboard a Viking River Cruise on the Rhine River sailing from Amsterdam to Basel, Switzerland. Viking made the journey worry free and easy, so we could enjoy your time together and not have to worry about any of the details. It was a first-class experience and exceeded our expectations.
This was the perfect vacation for a large family that included members in their 80’s and individuals who had never been to Europe. Many people associate river cruising with grandparents, but I would estimate that the average age on our ship were in their 50’s with quite a few in their 30’s.
For us, there were many benefits to sailing with Viking:
- Traveling along the Rhine immersed us in the history and beauty of the region. The onboard activities include local musicians, dining to give you a taste of the local culture and speakers that discuss the local region.
- Each day had one included excursion at each port of call and optional excursions that we could add-on. The additional excursion options offered a variety of activity levels, so there was something for everyone. We were transported in luxury motor coaches.
- We had plenty of time on our own to explore cities. If our included excursions were in the morning, it gave us an opportunity to get the lay of the land so we felt comfortable venturing out on our own after lunch or dinner.
- The tour guides were exceptional and the groups were also well managed. Those that wanted to go at a slower pace or needed a little extra assistance were put into separate groups.
- Our meals were fabulous with all wine and beer included at lunch and dinner. We also had 3 members of our family with dietary needs and they were accommodated beautifully.
- We were on one of Vikings Longships, which is elegant, modern and provided a comfortable environment. The 190-passenger ship was small and intimate and all staterooms are outside cabins. We never had more than 2 flights of stairs to get anywhere, which made moving about the ship very convenient.
We will definitely enjoy a future vacation to discover other regions of Europe. The Viking hospitality has us sold.