Leaning upon the success of Star Wars Day at Sea cruises, Disney Cruise Line recently launched Marvel Day at Sea cruises. We recently sailed on the Disney Magic and experienced this special day…and we were not into Marvel movies before the cruise.
Character experiences are available through three different methods.
- Advance tickets: When your booking window opens, Guests can reserve tickets to see Groot and the Heroic Encounter (Spider-Man, Black Panther, and Tony Stark/Ironman). Groot times are available throughout Marvel day and Heroic Encounter is available multiple days and times.
- Posted times: Times are listed in the daily Navigator and on the DCL app for Thor, Loki, Black Widow, and Captain America meet and greets. They are held multiple times throughout Marvel day.
- Roaming: Hawkeye, Doctor Strange, Star Lord, and Gamora roam decks three and four and are available for photos and autographs.
- Most of the Marvel characters also roam the ship the following day and are available for impromptu photos, autographs, and a handstand contest even occurred between Spider-Man and my daughter in the atrium.
- Games, activities, and arts and crafts are held in the Marvel Avenger’s Academy in the Oceaneer Club throughout the cruise. Kids can “Become Ironnman!” – and even adults can join the fun during open house sessions.
- At the Costume Celebration, Guests show off their costumes and the Disney characters join the celebration with a short photo session at the end.
- Several talks with Marvel creators, drawing classes, and trivia contests are held all day.
- Movies are shown on Funnel Vision and in Buena Vista Theatre. We even had the opportunity to see Thor: Ragnarok before the rest of the US.
- Journey into the Mystic Arts is a short participation show for kids on the stage of Walt Disney Theatre where they learn from Doctor Strange to master special powers. Children are selected by cruise staff once doors open, and they must have closed-toe shoes to participate. Certificates are delivered to participants’ staterooms the following day.
The festivities stretch into the evening with a special Marvel Day at Sea menu in all main dining rooms. Between the early and late dinner seatings is a Mickey and Friends SuperHero Celebration deck party with the Disney characters and a great message. The night is capped off with Marvel Heroes Unite, an exciting 30-minute stage show with all Marvel characters and a short fireworks display.
- As soon as your activity booking window opens, be sure to get your tickets right away. Groot tickets go the fastest. If you are not able to secure tickets, go to Guest Services once on board and check for openings. Plenty of Heroic Encounter tickets were available on board.
- Go to the early posted time character experiences – lines are much shorter in the morning versus afternoon.
- Order the pre-cruise gifts. The Marvel Hero Power package was our favorite (pillow with secret zipper and a super comfy throw). Lots of gifts are also available in the standard ship gift stores and in a special Marvel gift shop.
- Each stateroom receives a complimentary bed runner on Marvel day. It is yours to keep. Take a Sharpie and have it signed. Contact your Me and the Mouse Travel Specialist to book one of these limited sailings happening on 5-night Western Caribbean cruises from Miami in January through April.
Guest Contributor || Disney Cruise Platinum Guest