- Blog, Disney Cruise Line, Reviews, Tips
- Authorized, Best, Cabana, Castaway, Cay, Disney Cruise, Family, Hut, Planner, Platinum, reservations, Tips, Tricks, Vacation
One of the most sought-after experiences of a Disney Cruise is having a cabana at Disney’s private island, Castaway Cay. Our family has been fortunate to experience this luxury, which we like to label “peace, quiet and solitude.”
The cabana experience includes:
- Bottled waters, cans of soda, and cold towels in a refrigerator
- Fresh fruit, granola bars, and chips
- Towels and sunscreen
- Fresh water shower including foot rinse
- Lounge areas, changing area, storage, safe, ceiling fan, music, and outlet
- Floats and tubes and one-hour bike rental
- The Family Beach includes a private beach experience with beach loungers, chairs, umbrellas, snorkel equipment, and sand toys
- Cabana host and service button
Twenty cabanas grace the Family Beach – including one accessible cabana – while four are at the adults-only Serenity Bay.
The experience is especially good for families traveling with heat-sensitive guests, elderly or small children. My 80-year-old mother-in-law could not enjoy the island but for an hour during her first cruise. On her following visit, she was able to stay on island the entire day thanks to the cabana and its fan that provided reprieve from the heat. Families can enjoy still enjoy the experience while small children nap on the couch or in a complimentary pack-and-play.
The ship’s Concierge class crew services the cabanas, and guests summon the cabana host with a simple push of a button. My husband’s parasailing experience was in question, and our host kept in touch with the parasailing hut and even re-scheduled the booking that was cancelled. Without this service, he would have had to go all the way back to the hut by the ship to check the status. Another host hung a birthday sign for our daughter that was visible upon her cabana arrival.
How do I get a coveted cabana? Cabanas are typically snatched up by Concierge guests and Platinum status guests. However, I have even seen them available at Gold and Silver status activity booking openings. Guests can cancel up to three days before embarkation, so many guests will check daily for cancellations. You may also have your name added to a wait list at the Port Adventures desk upon boarding.
The luxury and service do come at a cost, however. Many guests will offer other guests to share the cabana to help defray the expense.
- Family Beach: $590.18, up to six guests included; up to four additional can be added at $53.75 each
- Family Beach Grand Cabana: $966.43 for up to 10 guests; up to six additional may be added
- Family Beach seasonal surcharge: $53.75 additional total cost late April through late September
- Serenity Bay: $428.93 for up to four guests; up to six additional may be added
Is it worth it? This is the number one question most folks have, and that answer lies solely with the guests reserving it and their needs and wants. We prefer to look at the cost by hour. We feel the privacy, peace of mind with our belongings and relaxed beach atmosphere is worth the splurge.
Disney Cruise Platinum Guest